Meet the Dental Staff
at Integrated Dental
When you're in need of restorative or cosmetic dental treatment, count on a team of professionals that have your best interests in mind.
We understand that comfort and confidence in our office comes from accumulating good experiences through each aspect in our facility. We first want patients to know we’ve taken precautionary measures and installed installed AIRsteril® air purification stations throughout our entire dental facility. These stations eliminate 98% of viruses and bacteria to ensure optimal air safety. Our waiting area is beautiful and modern, has distance-seating, wall-mounted hand sanitizer units, and a 40x30” acrylic barrier at our reception desk.
We realize comfort means something different to everyone.
Whether you prefer communicating face-to-face, or whether you prefer a mostly digital outreach, we serve patients with administrative efficiency while keeping attention to their questions and records. Our treatment approach has the same effect - a clinical team in accord with patient diagnoses and goals, and expert attention to the intricacies of dental health, art, and final results. It’s notable to mention that art is significant to dental measurements, function, and esthetics!
Melvin Benson Jr.
Dr. Melvin Benson Jr., DDS, FAGD, is a graduate of the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center College of Dentistry (2006), which is among the top clinical education programs in the nation. Dr. Benson has authored a book titled Changing the Way You Go to the Dentist and in 2018 he became one of the elite 6% of general dentists to earn a Fellowship from the Academy of General Dentistry (FAGD). With almost 750 hours of post-doctoral education, Dr. Benson shares Dr. David Schirmer’s passion for advanced dental technology and life-long learning through professional development and continuing education.
Prior to purchasing Dr. Schirmer’s dental practice in Sarasota, FL, Dr. Benson owned and ran a large dental practice in Greeley, Colorado for almost nine years. Due to health concerns for his wife Jenny, his family opted to trade in their snow boots for flip flops in 2021, to improve her quality of life. He looks forward to sharing his experience and his expertise with each new patient.
Dr. Schirmer hand selected Dr. Benson to purchase his practice and care for his patients. Dr. Benson has always lived by the philosophy “Inform before we Perform” and he believes in building a longstanding partnership with his patients through advanced dental education and techniques, comprehensive and honest treatment plans, and genuine attentiveness to the needs of each patient. What sets Dr. Benson apart from other Sarasota dentists is the time he takes with each individual patient to understand their unique health history and their personal dental needs and goals.
When he is not practicing dentistry or attending continuing education courses, Dr. Benson enjoys spending time with his family. He has been married to his wife, Jenny, for over twenty years, and they have two beautiful children, Rachel and CJ. The Benson family enjoys Jeeping, fishing, boating, watching/playing football, and traveling. While living in Greeley, CO his family was actively involved in the community, including supporting of the Marine Corps JROTC program, organizing the annual Freedom Day USA free dental event, participating in other Greeley community events such as the Festival of Trees and Movie Nights, and volunteering with other religious and civic organizations. They look forward to being involved in the Sarasota community as well.
Education & Experience:
- Louisiana State University School of Dental Medicine: Multi-Disciplinary Residency in Oral Facial Pain, TMD Disorders, and Dental Sleep Medicine
- The Dawson Academy: The Dawson Academy Core Curriculum, Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Sleep Disorders, and TMD Diagnosis and Treatment Masters Track
- Pikos Institute: Creating Surgical Excellence®: Alveolar Ridge Strategies: Single Tooth to Full Arch Reconstruction and Pikos Symposium: Full Arch Immediate Implant Reconstruction
- McGarry Implant Institute: Clinical Residency in Implant Surgery, Bone Grafting, and Restoration, Oral Medicine, Oral Diagnosis, and Oral Pathology, and Into Thin Air: Maxillary Sinus Augmentation
- DOCS Education: Certification in Adult Conscious Sedation
- Anesthesia Education and Safety Foundation: Anesthesia and Pain Control, Oral Sedation, and Conscious Sedation
Awards, Proffessional Affiliations, And Community Service
- Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry
- 5280 Top Dentist 2020, 2021, and 2022
- The Best of Greeley and Weld County Magazine’s Best Dentist 2015-2019
- First Place in the Greeley Tribune’s Winning Workplace Healthcare & Social Assistance 11-50 Employees
- Member of the Academy of General Dentistry www.agd.org
- Member of the Dawson Academy Alumni Association https://thedawsonacademy.com
- Co-Founder for the Dawson Study Club of Colorado and former Study Club Leader
- Member of the American Academy of Osseointegration
- Freedom Day USA participant 2013-present; provides free dental care to active military, veterans, and their spouses. www.freedomdayusa.org
- Annual Marine Foundation Toys for Tots Toy Drive 2013-present https://www.toysfortots.org
- Compete to Beat Hunger participant with the Weld County Food Bank
- The “Schools for a Healthy Lifestyle” Adopt-a-Dentist of the year for promoting dental education for school-aged children
- “Hometown Hero Award” from the Oklahoma Dental Foundation for his extensive work with Children’s Dental Needs of Oklahoma.
- Worked with the Oklahoma Dental Foundation’s Mobile Dental Care Unit providing dental care to patients in rural and impoverished areas.
David Christopher Schirmer
I truly enjoy dentistry as a profession and come from a family full of dentists, including my father, daughter, and several cousins. Before moving to Sarasota, I practiced in New York as a successful general and cosmetic dentist. With my new team here in Sarasota, we continue the practice of general and cosmetic dentistry, but with special interest in facial esthetics and the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea.
We constructed a new state of the art facility adjacent to Sarasota Memorial Hospital. We are very excited to provide our patients with the highest level of care, but with special attention to their particular desires in treatment options.
Highlights of my career include several honorary fellowships as nominated by my peers. I am a co-author of the book Quality Measurement in Dentistry, a publication which continues to evolve under new authors and leadership. I was the Chairman of Education for the Dental Quality Alliance which sponsored the development of this publication. I was a Council member of the American Dental Association for four years, and served on multiple committees. But most of all, I have enjoyed providing care to all of my patients and look forward to serving you!
- Niagara University, BS, magna cum laude
- Georgetown University, DDS, honors
- The Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health
- American Dental Association
- ADA Council on Access, Prevention, and Interprofessional Relations
- The Dental Quality Alliance, Chairman of Education
- American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine
- American Academy of Facial Esthetics
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
Clinical Assistant / Expanded Functions
I am a dental assistant with specialized training in expanded functions. I received my education and certificate from Concorde Career Institute in Tampa, Florida. I have worked as a dental assistant for 20 years. I am married and have three great kids! I enjoy spending time with my family and our rescue dog, Caesar. One of the things I like best about working with Dr. Schirmer, Anita, Carol Ann, and Natalie is the calm and tranquil environment we have at Integrated Dental of Florida.
Carole brings to you experience as a traditional hygienist but with the added flexibility to offer you our unique AIRFLOW® cleaning system! You can use her system of traditional hand-scale, AIRFLOW®, or a combination of both! She is very excited to meet you and maintain your dental routine.
Clinical Assistant / Marketing Coordinator
I moved to Sarasota nine years ago. I joined Dr. Schirmer in 2017 as clinical support, and I also oversee marketing outreach for our practice. I’m grateful to join an enthusiastic team that utilizes our individual talents, creating a fantastic place to work and an ability to provide great services.
I come with over 25 years of experience as an assistant in Orthodontics, a treatment coordinator, and as a billing tech in a large corporate law firm. I earned my BSBM in 2010, have practiced traditional Taekwondo for over 20 years, and am currently ranked 5th Degree Black Belt with the Choong Sil Tkd Federation. I operated a small school for three years, but recently closed it in order to return to my Equestrian hobby of Hunter Jumper riding. I love working with our patients to give them an insightful and simplified dental experience.
We’re accepting new patients! Call 941-256-3675 today to schedule your first appointment.